Great Benefits of Coconut Oil for Hair
05 Apr 2017
Hair today gone tomorrow? Well with the change in our lifestyles and eating habits, many of us are constantly abusing our bodies treating them to an overdose of chemicals and junk. And the first casualty seems to be our hair. The shiny and lustrous mane of our growing up years now shows signs of drying, dullness and premature graying. But there are many natural methods to get the beaming health of our hair back. Apart from a good diet, a regular hair care regime is very important. And what is best than the use of coconut oil -- highly rich in vitamins and minerals. Coconut oil has abundance of fatty acids and Omega 3 oils that nourishes and moisturizes not only the scalp and the hair, but also for holistic remedies, working like a magic potion.
Coconut oil for hair – Its Benefits & Home Remedies:
- Hair Damage Control
- Coconut Oil for Hair Loss & Hair Growth
- Anti-Dandruff Properties
- Deep Hair Conditioning
- Prevention of premature aging of hair
- Protection against Lice
- Hair Toning
Hair Damage Control:
The first function performed by coconut oil for hair is protection from hair damage. Coconut oil functions as a shield for hair and save it from external damage like pollution and sun damage. The lauric acid in coconut oil has high chemical attraction for proteins, which allows quick penetration of essential proteins and vitamins into hair shaft. Beyond protection from external damage, coconut oil can be used in post hair wash for grooming purpose as well as pre hair wash too. So, if hair protection from damage is the only thing one wants then coconut oil is the best option.
Home remedy to treat hair damage using coconut oil
- Coconut hair oil & honey mask
The moisturizing properties of both coconut hair oil and honey are not just extraordinary but also beneficial for repair and restoring damage. It will nourish your hair from root to tip and give it a silky texture.
Follow the below given method to make this hydrating hair mask.
- 4 tbsp coconut hair oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- Mix the two together and heat it on the stove for 2-3 minutes.
- Massage the mix into the scalp and wrap a towel around the hair or wear a shower cap to avoid staining clothes.
- Its best to apply the mask from top to bottom so that there’s uniform spread all over.
- Keep the mask on for 30-40 minutes and let the mask soak in.
- Rinse it off with a mild shampoo
- Repeat at least twice a week to notice a considerable change in hair texture.
Coconut Oil for Hair Loss & Hair Growth:
Hair loss is a very common and usual problem that occurs in every individual’s life cycle. In most cases, hair loss is not a natural occurrence and occurs due to some kind of damage to hair, so to deal with this very common issue, the coconut oil is used from ancient times. There are various natural remedies to reduce hair loss that start and end with coconut oil. One easy and popular home remedy of dealing with hair loss by using coconut oil is to boil gooseberries in coconut oil and do hair massage with that oil.
Home remedy to treat hair loss using coconut oil
Coconut & lemon juice hair mask for stronger hair
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Freshly squeezed juice of ½ lemon
- Mixing the two together
- Massage the mixture to your scalp, from root to tip, in circular motion for 5-7 minutes.
- After combing the hair gently, just cover the scalp with a shower cap and leave it overnight.
- Next morning, wash with cold water using a mild shampoo like Vatika Hair Fall Treatment Shampoo.
- Repeat the process thrice in a week to see faster results.
Amla & coconut oil mix
- Rich in vitamins, essential nutreints, anti-oxidant and antibacterial properties, this super fruit works magic for the hair if accompanied with coconut oil.
- It provides sheen and volume to the hair apart from strengthening it from the roots.
- Its regular use encourages growth of thick and black hair while keeping the scalp moisturized for long.
- 2 tbsp dried amla powder
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (warm)
- 1 tsp Dabur Amla Hair Oil
- Mix the two oils with the powder to make a smooth paste
- Apply the mix to the scalp and tips of the hair
- Cover the head with a shower cap and leave the mix overnight
- Next morning, rinse the mix using a mild shampoo followed by a conditioner
- Repeat the process at least twice a week to notice marked difference in the health and texture of hair
Dandruff is an annoying hair issues as the white flakes in scalp creates a lot of problem for the sufferer. Dandruff even causes itching and irritation to some people. It is another common hair issue after hair loss in hundreds of people, so to get rid of this problem, people spend lots of money on many hair care products and shampoo. But the best and most effective option of dealing with dandruff is coconut oil. The fatty acids in coconut oil make the oil a natural anti-dandruff agent. By using coconut oil such as Vatika Coconut Enriched Hair Oil on regular basis, one can get rid of dandruff permanently. Using coconut oil by mixing lukewarm water and little amount of castor oil in it can work as an effective anti-dandruff remedy.
Home remedies to treat dandruff using coconut oil
Coconut oil & peppermint mix
- Peppermint is a wonderful herb used for reliving various problems related to dry & itchy scalp.
- And mix it with coconut you are bound to experience enchantment.
- Applying peppermint with coconut oil helps in getting rid of flaky, dry and itchy scalp and also aids in removing dandruff.
- 3 coconut hair oil
- 1 tbsp peppermint oil
- Mix the two oils together and heat it on high flame for 2 mins
- Let oil mix cool overnight
- Next day, massage it on the scalp and keep on for 30 minutes
- Rinse hair with a mild shampoo followed by a conditioner
- Repeat the process at least thrice a week for desired results
- You can also add a teaspoon of tea tree oil to the mix for calming and cool effect on the scalp
Banana, honey & coconut hair mask
- During summers due to sweat the scalp becomes itchy, smelly and flaky, which can become a cause of dandruff and hair loss
- To sooth the scalp and keep it dandruff free, honey and banana mask can work wonders for the scalp as well as the quality of the hair
- Honey and banana aids in exfoliating the scalp, conditioning it from deep within and moisturizing it to enable growth of soft and silky hair.
- 1 ripe banana (mashed)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp coconut hair oil
- Add honey and coconut oil to the banana mash to make a smooth paste
- Massage the mix gently into the scalp and apply some of it to the tips as well
- Leave the mix on the scalp and hair overnight
- Next morning, rinse it off with a mild shampoo like Dabur Vatika Hair Fall Treatment Shampoo for better results.
- Repeat at least twice a week for desired effect
There are many hair oils available in market that promise deep hair conditioning and many more benefits to hair. But the only oil that stands up to the expectations and does wonders in the field of hair conditioning is coconut oil. Because of the light molecular weight, coconut oil easily penetrates deep down the roots of hair and condition and nourishes it to the core. Hair conditioning helps in keeping hair soft and shimmering. So, ladies don’t miss out that softness and bounce in your hair, use coconut oil and start hair conditioning now.
Home remedies using coconut oil for hair conditioned
Hair styling is an important and a very common practice in ladies world. Every woman loves to style her hair in their own way for various occasions, and to do that, choosing a safe way is very important. Otherwise one might land up damaging and making their hair weaker with different styles. Coconut oil can be a cool ingredient for hair styling as it melts down quickly on heating and condenses or cools down after coming into contact with air. So, using coconut oil by warming up and tying up hair in certain style that needs hold could be easy as the oil would work as a styling cream or gel to hold hair firmly after cooling down.
How to use coconut oil for hair styling
Coconut oil & egg hair mask
- Eggs make hair stronger from the root thus giving them the strength to tackle the damage caused by excessive use of hair styling products and chemicals
- It aids in restoring the natural oil of the scalp and hair that gets stripped due to exposure to chemicals and sun
- Mixed with coconut, they together adds a natural shine and bounce to the hair
- 1 egg
- 5-6 drops of coconut oil
- -2-3 drops of lavender oil (for fragrance)
- Mix the three ingredients together to make a very frothy mix
- Massage the scalp with the mix, in circular motion, for 10 mins
- Leave the mix for 30 mins
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo
- Repeat the process at least once a week for desired results
Banana, avocado & coconut hair oil mask
- Banana and avocado deeply conditions the scalp thus keeping it moisturized and hydrated for growth of soft and silky hair.
- They also help in getting rid of split ends that are caused due to dryness of scalp.
- To add natural shine and smoothness to hair, banana and avocado mixed with coconut oil is the best mix.
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ cup mashed avocado
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Mix everything together to make a smooth paste
- Leave the mix for 2-3 minutes untouched and then apply it to dry hair
- Comb your hair and cover them to avoid any staining
- Leave it to dry for an hour at least
- Before rinsing with lukewarm water, massage the scalp for 5-10 mintues
- Repeat the process every alternate day and see how bouncy and shiny the hair becomes
Prevention of premature aging of hair:
Lack of care and attention towards hair could make hair go grey or get into the stage of premature aging. With busy lifestyles and lack of hair care, the problem of premature aging of hair is becoming common and widespread. Also, the problem of baldness due to hair loss is also worrying a lot of people. And to deal with this problem, coconut oil is the best solution. Coconut oil is known to reverse the grey hair effect as it is full of antioxidants. Mixing a little bit of lemon juice with coconut oil will make an effective remedy to reverse the grey hair affect.
Home remedies using coconut oil to prevent premature hair aging
Henna & coconut oil hair mask
- Apart from covering the unwanted greys, henna also stimulates growth of thick, strong and shiny locks.
- It deeply moisturizes and cleanses the scalp and aids in keeping the problems of dry, itchy and flaky scalp at bay
- Since it keeps the scalp cool, inflammation caused due to oily scalp (which is a common thing during summers) can be controlled by applying henna to hair at least once a week
- 2 tbsp henna powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Add warm coconut oil to henna powder
- Apply the mix to the hair and comb them properly to spread the mix evenly
- Leave it to rest in the hair overnight
- Next morning, rinse it off with warm water followed by a mild shampoo
- Repeat the process at least twice a week to get rid of white strands and stimulate growth of thick and shiny hair
Protection against Lice:
Lice is refers to a pest which is found in hair scalp and leads to tremendous irritation and itching. The problem is very common in kids and for elders it becomes a cause of embarrassment. And the bad part about lice is that it comes back again and again. Everyone is familiar with different kinds of commercial products for fighting and killing lice. But on the other side, everyone knows that all that products are chemical based and harmful for hair at the end of the day. So, to prevent the hair from immense damage of chemical and get rid of lice, using coconut oil is an amazing option. Applying a coat of coconut oil over wet hair and combing hair with very thin teeth combed can easily wipe out the lice from scalp and hair.
- Coconut oil treats head lice with its natural properties as its fatty content suffocates the lice and makes it harder for them to maintain a grip on the hair follicles.
- It aids in controlling the infestation of lice by acting as an effective repellent
- Applying coconut oil will hamper the movement of lice on the scalp thus rendering their growth
Home remedies using coconut oil for lice protection
Coconut oil with apple cider
Apple cider dissolves the glue that the lice uses to stick to the surface of the scalp.
- 1 cup apple cider
- 4-5 tbsp coconut oil
- Coat your hair with apple cider completely and leave it to dry for an hour
- Now massage coconut oil into the scalp and hair, in circular motion, for 10 minutes
- Wrap the hair in a towel and leave it to rest for 4-5 hours
- Comb your hair to remove dead lice and eggs from the hair before washing
- Rinse the oil and cider mix from the hair using a mild shampoo
- Repeat at least twice a week for a month to completely get rid of the lice
Lemon, garlic & green tea mix:
Garlic and lemon has antiseptic properties that are perfect tot treat the problem of lice from the root. Lemon will also aid in exfoliating the scalp from dirt and other harmful chemicals, thus making it clean and fresh for long.
Method: Mix all the ingredients together
- 1 tbsp garlic juice
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup green tea
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Coat the hair and scalp completely with the solution
- Cover your head with a shower cap for 50-60 minutes
- Comb the hair to remove any dead lice or eggs from the scalp
- Rinse with water followed by a mild shampoo
- Repeat at least twice a week for two months for a lice free scalp
Hair suffers from damage and many other problems due to lack of care. Damage from using harsh products over hair which causes hair to dry over time demands hair toning. To do hair toning in natural way, coconut oil does a great job. Applying slightly warm coconut oil on regular basis at night over hair and scalp will help in hair toning naturally. Following this practice dedicatedly for few weeks or month will surely give desired results to individuals.
- Hair toning helps in giving an even colour to the hair
- It adds a natural shine to the hair making them look and feel silky and soft
- For people who love to colour their hair, hair toning locks in the colour so that it stays for long
How to make hair toner using coconut oil at home?
Vatika Enriched Coconut Hair Oil
It is widely recommended in the home remedies mentioned below. It not only deeply moisturizes the scalp, but also makes for an effective remedy to treat any hair damage. Enriched with triple goodness of Henna, Lemon & Amla; Dabur Vatika Enriched Coconut Hair Oil is many solutions in one bottle. Regular use of coconut hair oil can encourage fast growth of thick, black and shiny hair as well.
Coconut oil mixed with other oils
Imagine when strong oils meet and infuse, what happens. If you mix a part of coconut oil to two parts of Dabur Vatika Enriched Olive Hair Oil and apply to your hair, the end results are what you have been dreaming of. Olive oil and coconut oil together help grow hair fast and you can fulfill your dream of being a Rapunzel someday. Apply the mix as frequently as possible.
How to use coconut milk for hair
Apart from the hair oil, the thick first-pressed milk of coconut has amazing revitalizing and rejuvenating properties that boost the hair volume. Just apply the milk on the scalp and hair for an hour and wash it with a mild shampoo. Experience the change in the texture of the hair within a month. Beyond the benefits of coconut oil for hair, there are many small and simple reasons why people especially ladies love to use coconut hair oil. So, here is the list of some simple reasons for using coconut oil in daily lifestyle by millions of people
Other Benefits of Coconut Oil:
- To keep hair healthy: The simplest and most common reason why many people use coconut oil is to keep hair healthy and strong. Its many benefits, properties, vitamins and nutrients help in keeping the hair healthy and strong in routine life. For the better knowledge of folks, coconut oil is rich in antioxidants, Vitamin E, K, and iron helps in fighting various hair problems such as dandruff, graying of hair, dry hair and many more.
- Daily Detangler: Many ladies use coconut oil for not any special but a simple purpose of detangling hair. Coconut oil is light and less sticky, so it could be used on regular basis to detangle and comb hair. Also, coconut oil makes styling easy for many people. So, don’t forget to apply coconut oil before combing or detangling your long tresses. Going by this way, one could save hair from breakage during detangling of long hair and would also make things fuss free.
- Base for hair coloring: There are many hair colors which are applied using coconut oil as base. The reason behind using coconut oil as base for hair color is that it penetrates deep down hair easily and quickly and makes the color look more vibrant. Beyond that coconut oil protects the hair color from fading out easily. So, someone really wants their color to last for longer duration, use coconut oil as base. But before using coconut oil, please make sure that the color allows coconut oil or any other ingredient as base for hair color.
- For increased hair growth: Right from the very childhood we have been told that coconut oil is good for hair and it stimulates hair growth. Well, the fact is true and coconut oil really works well in promoting hair growth. Coconut oil contains omega-9 fatty acids which directly promotes the hair growth. And as our elders say there is nothing better than coconut oil because it has lots of proteins, nutrients and vitamin to speed up hair growth. So, ladies keep your hair growth on right track with regular application coconut oil
- Hair grooming: Apart from hair revitalization, Coconut hair oil is also used for post-wash grooming of hair. If applied to wet hair, it works like a hair mousse giving natural shine and bounce.
- Scalp Cooling: During long and treacherous summer months, application of coconut hair oil helps in cooling the scalp, thus preventing excessive scalp sweating which leads to itchy boils and flakes.
- Treats psoriasis & scalp infection: Apart from psoriasis, coconut hair oil helps in solving the complex problem of seborrheic dermatitis, a scalp infection.
- Anti-fungal/viral properties: Coconut hair oil is anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial. Hence, it helps in detoxification of the scalp.
- Treats split ends: Those suffering from split ends can take a deep sigh of relief. Split ends not only stunt the growth of hair but also compromise on hair quality. Applying coconut hair oil on the tip of the hair once a week can help get over the problem.
How to Get Shiny Hair
How To Make Hair Silky
How To Remove Dandruff
Healthy Hair Tips
Tips for Dry and Damaged Hair
Long Hair Tips
Best Hair Regrowth Oil for Indian Hair