How to Remove Dandruff Naturally
15 Apr 2016
Do you scratch your scalp all the time? It could be a sign of dandruff. The problem of dandruff is a very common hair issue and needs immediate attention. Nor is dandruff a health hazard but constant itching can be annoying and embarrassing too.
The more you scratch your scalp, the more the problem increases. Chemical-laden anti-dandruff shampoos in the market promise to get rid of the problem at the earliest and permanently. But the chemicals present in shampoos are harmful for the hair and ruin the sensitive scalp as well. Hence, it is better to completely avoid any chemical hair product for treating dandruff and go natural.
Top 23 Home Remedies for Dandruff:
- Coconut oil with lemon
- Coconut & rosemary oil
- Coconut oil & fenugreek
- Coconut oil & yogurt
- Apple cider & tea tree oil
- Apple cider vinegar and honey
- Apple cider vinegar & peppermint
- Apple cider & aloe vera
- Apple cider vinegar & ginger
- Apple cider vinegar & avocado hair mask
- Baking soda & lemon juice
- Baking soda & herbal shampoo
- Baking soda & beetroot juice
- Neem & coconut hair oil
- Neem with honey
- Neem & fenugreek seeds
- Neem & yogurt
- Neem & fresh cream
- Lemon juice & yogurt
- Lemon juice & avocado
- Lemon juice & tea powder
- Lemon & egg white
- Lemon & orange peel
- Coconut Oil:
The king of all hair remedies is coconut oil. Coconut oil has endless benefits for hair and when it comes to removal of dandruff, the first thing that strike in mind is coconut oil. There are number of coconut oil available in market but choosing the correct one for treating dandruff is very important. One good and faithful coconut oil available in market is Dabur Vatika Coconut Enriched Oil. To remove dandruff with coconut oil you can try the below given home remedies.
Coconut oil with lemon
Not only will this concoction help remove dandruff permanently but also provide shine and bounce to the hair that becomes dull because of constant flaking.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Take a tablespoon of coconut oil, and to it add same amount of lemon juice
- Massage on scalp for 10-15 minutes
- Leave the hair with the mask for half an hour and wash it with a mild shampoo like Dabur Vatika Hair Fall Treatment Shampoo
- Repeat the process twice a week
Coconut & rosemary oil
Rosemary is not just a fragrant herb but also works wonders for hair. Mix it with coconut oil and see how dandruff disappears.
- 4-5 drops of rosemary oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Add a few drops of rosemary oil to coconut oil
- Massage on scalp for 5 mins
- Leave it overnight & rinse it off with shampoo the next day
- Repeat the process at least once a week
- A visible dandruff reduction will be seen within a month
Coconut oil & fenugreek
For a scalp that is dry and flaky, this fenugreek works as a good source of natural conditioner.
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp warm coconut oil
- Mix the two together into a fine paste using a mixer.
- Apply the mix to the scalp
- Let the mask sit for at least 2 hours before washing it off with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat the process at least twice a week to see the health of the hair & scalp getting better
Coconut oil & yogurt
Yogurt when teamed with coconut oil helps in providing the required nourishment for dandruff affected hair.
- 2 tbsp fresh yoghurt
- 1 part coconut oil
- Mix the ingredients together into a paste
- Massage the mix on to the scalp properly and rinse it off within half an hour
- Repeat the process once in a week
- Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar has certain properties that help in restoring the pH balance of scalp and controlling the yeast growth in scalp. All these characteristics make the scalp treatment and dandruff removal easy for apple cider vinegar. And one important thing to note about apple cider vinegar is that it is a natural hair cleanser and cleans hair follicles and clogged pores efficiently. To use apple cider vinegar to reduce dandruff, you can try the below given methods.
Apple cider & tea tree oil
These days, tea tree oil is very easily available in the market and hence making a concoction of the two would definitely help in getting rid of dandruff problem permanently.
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 drops tea tree oil
- Add few drops of tea tree oil to a tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar
- Massage on the scalp and roots
- Keep it on for an hour and wash off the mix with cool water
- Follow the remedy twice or thrice a week
Apple cider vinegar and honey
Honey is another natural conditioner, which helps in keeping the scalp hydrated and moisturized, thus significantly reducing the problem of dandruff.
- 1 cup of lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp raw, organic honey
- Combine all the three ingredients together
- Mix it will and pour it into a spray bottle
- Spray the solution on the scalp and hair
- Leave it on for 20-25 minutes and rinse it off with mild shampoo
- The remedy is really effective if used regularly
Apple cider vinegar & peppermint
Because of its cooling properties, peppermint helps tremendously in treating dandruff. It also contains anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties which help in healing itchy marks.
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5-6 peppermint leaves
- Add one cup of apple cider vinegar and five to six peppermint leaves in a glass of hot water
- Let the mix come together for 2-3 hours and strain the solution into a spray bottle
- Spray the mix to the scalp as well as the hairline and let it be for 20-25 minutes
- Rinse off with a mild shampoo and repeat the application daily
Apple cider & aloe vera
Aloe vera is known for being anti-fungal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory. It soothes the dry scalp and helps overcome itching sensation.
- 2-3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 a cup aloe vera gel
- Mix the concoction well and apply it on the scalp
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and wash off the hair with cool water
- Repeat the process twice or thrice a month for quicker results
Apple cider vinegar & ginger
Like all other natural ingredients, ginger is also very high on health benefits. It restricts the growth of fungus and helps in treating dandruff permanently.
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp dry ginger powder
- 1 part distilled water
- Add three spoons full of apple cider vinegar and a spoon of dry ginger powder in an air-tight bowl
- Keep the mix together without touching for a week and thereafter shake the bottle
- Apply the mix along with one part of distilled water to the scalp
- Leave it on for half an hour and wash hair with a mild shampoo like Dabur Almond Shampoo
Apple cider vinegar & avocado hair mask
Avocado is known as a super fruit with lots of health benefits that not just help in dealing with internal but external body issues as well.
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 overripe mashed avocado
- Mix all the ingredients together
- Apply the mix to the scalp and leave it on for 15-20 minutes
- Thereafter, massage the mix and wash it with a mild shampoo
- Repeat the process once a week for better results
- Baking Soda:
To remove the flaky dead skin cells collection from scalp, baking soda is an ideal ingredient. Reason for choosing baking soda to treat dandruff is that it is a mild exfoliator, which could easily absorb the extra natural oil from scalp and remove the dead skin cells collection. Baking soda also puts a control over fungi growth in scalp and balances pH level of scalp efficiently. Using baking soda to remove dandruff is very easy, just make hands wet and rub baking soda on hair scalp with those wet hands. After few minutes, clean scalp with lukewarm water. Remember not to shampoo hair after following this remedy.
Baking soda & lemon juice
Both lemon juice and baking soda work wonder for dandruff laden hair. They not only remove excess flakes but also help in cleaning the scalp.
- Juice of 2-3 lemons
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- Mix juice of 2-3 lemons with one tablespoon of baking soda
- Apply the paste on the scalp and gently massage for 10-12 minutes
- Rinse hair with cool water and follow the remedy twice a week to get rid of dandruff permanently
Baking soda & herbal shampoo
Chemicals are bad for hair and hence one must regulate the use of herbal shampoos for removing dandruff.
- 1 part mild shampoo like Dabur Vatika Hair Fall Treatment Shampoo
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Mix shampoo with baking soda in a bowl
- Rinse hair with cold water and apply the mixture to form lather
- Leave it on for 2-3 minutes and gently massage the scalp
- Rinse it again with cool water to wash off the shampoo and soda mixture
- Repeat it once a week and see the difference
Baking soda & beetroot juice
Beetroot juice apart from its health benefits is also a great source of hydration for the scalp.
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- Water as required
- ½ tsp beetroot juice
- Add one tablespoon baking soda to water to make a thick paste
- Then add beetroot juice and apply the mixture to the hair & scalp
- Gently massage for 5-10 minutes and rinse off with cool water
- Repeat the process at least twice a week for desired results
- Indian Lilac (Neem):
The leaves of Indian lilac tree also known as neem in Indian culture is famous for its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. The properties of Indian lilac makes it the right contender to fight with dandruff and other hair issues such as hair fall, hair acne and itchy scalp.
To utilize the benefits of Indian lilac, boil decent amount of leaves in three to four cups of water. Boil the leaves until the water attains the leaves green color and then let the solution cool down. Now strain the solution in another container and use the decoction to rinse hair. Follow this remedy twice or thrice in a week to reduce dandruff in few weeks.
Neem & coconut hair oil
Both neem and coconut hair oil are wonder ingredients that help in easy eradication of the problem of dandruff and itchy scalp.
- 1 tbsp warm Dabur Vatika Enriched Coconut Hair Oil with Hibiscus
- 6-7 neem leaves formed into a paste
- Make a paste of neem leaves and mix it with coconut oil
- Massage the mix on to the scalp
- Keep it on for half an hour and wash the mix with cool water
- Repeat the process every week
Neem with honey
Honey moisturizes the scalp while neem will exfoliate it of any harmful chemicals, dirt and impurities. It also aids in controlling frizziness in the hair and make them glossy and smooth.
- 3-4 neem leaves
- Water as required
- 1 tbsp honey
- Boil neem leaves and make a paste
- Add honey to the paste and use the mix to condition the hair post shampoo
- Keep the paste on for a few minutes and rinse off with cool water
- Repeat once a week for better results
Neem & fenugreek seeds
Both fenugreek and neem has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties and hence they help in faster eradication of dandruff.
- 2-3 tsp fenugreek seeds (soaked for a day in water)
- Water as required
- 10-15 neem leaves
- Make a paste of all the ingredients in a mixer
- Apply the paste on the scalp and leave it on for an hour at least
- Then wash hair with cool water thoroughly
- Repeat the process twice a week
Neem & yogurt
- 6-10 neem leaves
- Water as required
- A bowl of fresh, cold yogurt
- Juice of half a lemon
- Take around 6-10 neem leaves and boil them in water
- Make a fine paste and add it to a bowl of cold yoghurt
- Mix the paste and squeeze half a lemon into it
- Apply the paste on the scalp as well as hair
- Leave it on for half an hour and wash thoroughly
Neem & fresh cream
This mix will provide natural hydration and moisturizing properties to both the hair and scalp and help get rid of dandruff faster.
- Bunch of neem leaves
- Water as required
- ½ cup fresh cream
- 2 tbsp Dabur Almond Hair Oil
- Make a paste of neem leaves & add cream to it
- Apply the mix on the hair and leave it for an hour to dry.
- After that oil the hair and again massage for 5-10 mins
- Wash the hair with a mild shampoo
- Repeat the process once a month
The citrus acid effect of lemon is considered very effective in fighting the fungi that causes dandruff problem. Lemon is also very helpful in reducing itching of scalp.
Tips on How to Get Rid of Dandruff at Home:
- Go for natural remedies
- Go slow on styling products
- Brush effectively
- Condition the scalp properly
Go for natural remedies:
Home remedies are always a better as they cut down of the risk of any side effects, are chemical free, inexpensive and since they are made using everyday ingredients from your own kitchen they work wonderfully in treating the problem from the root.
A head massage with lukewarm oil will not only distress you but also nourish and moisturize your scalp from deep within. Oiling also help stimulate growth of thick and strong hair while keeping your scalp clean and clear of any bacterial or fungal infection.
Go slow on styling products:
Teasing your hair with excessive use of styling products like shampoos, hot iron, blow dryer etc. strips the scalp of its natural moisture and oil this making them look dull, dry and damaged. By going slow on exposing your hair to hair styling products and treatment will help you keep your scalp healthy and happy.
Brushing is one of the easiest way of untangling your hair and increasing its lustre. By regularly brushing your hair, you help the scalp spread its natural oil evenly through the length of the hair thus keeping the scalp itching, dryness and infection free. But remember to do it slowly as rigorous brushing can weaken the hair from the root causing them to break and fall.
Condition the scalp properly:
Side effects of exposing your hair and scalp to sun and pollution can rob the scalp of its natural oils. By condition it with a good quality conditioner will moisturize the scalp deeply and remove dead skin cells and other impurities that can cause dandruff to grow on the scalp.
6 Major Causes of Dandruff
After getting familiar with the term dandruff, it is time to know what causes dandruff and how to remove dandruff. Below is the list of causes of dandruff, which will tell how to certain actions and laziness invites this problem:
- Dry skin
- Insufficient brushing
- Cold Weather
There is one common fungus found in every individual’s scalp called Malassezia. It is found in everyone’s scalp including the healthiest person. In some cases, the strong immune system of individuals may react with this fungus causing excess of dandruff. And in some cases, the excessive growth of this fungus feeding on hair follicles makes the scalp more itchy and irritated. In such cases, the extra skin cells dies off rapidly appearing as white flaky dandruff.
People with dry skin issues tend to have more dandruff issues than other people. Beyond that the overheated rooms makes the scalp more itchy and dry to flake out dandruff easily and quickly. The dandruff white flakes of dry skin people are not oily and are tinier than normal dandruff.
The problem of dandruff is often very common with people who are more sensitive to yeast. In such cases, people find things more comfortable and easy during summer or warmer months and itchy and drying during cold months of winter. Though it is not very clear that what makes the scalp so itchy and flaky. Yeast or dry skin is closely related in such scenario.
Combing or brushing of hair regularly is very important. It allows the scalp to shed the normal dead skin cells on regular basis and doesn’t allow them to collect for long time. Hence, insufficient brushing of hair plays a major role in increased risk of dandruff.
Everyone knows that as the winter hits the skin becomes more dry and dull. Same goes with the scalp too, scalp starts becoming dry and itchy and during cold weather with cold breeze which is followed by more dandruff and dead skin cells fall off.
Stress in regular life cycles creates various health issues. And when it comes to hair, stress affects them very closely and directly. Stress is said to trigger and disturb the natural cycle of hair growth and shift of hair fall cycle. Hence, if increased level of stress is experienced by any individual then the person might have the problem of dandruff due to disturbed cycle of growth and dead skin cells.
Top 10 Foods/ Best Diet to Prevent Dandruff:
Apart from following the easy remedies mentioned above, dandruff can be removed permanently from your life by also following a healthy and balanced diet regime.
Here are top 10 foods that you must include in your everyday diet if you wish to get rid from the problem of dandruff and show-off hair that are beautiful, silky and shiny:
- Wheat germs
- Sunflower seeds
Improper digestion is one of the main causes of people suffering from dandruff. Ginger has strong antibacterial and antifungal properties and is known to aid soothe digestive tract and regularize digestion.
Rich in vitamin B6 and zinc, a regular diet of chickpeas should be a must if you wish to make your scalp dandruff-free. To make your hair soft and soothe the itching of the scalp caused by dandruff a paste of chickpea flour, water and yogurt can also be applied.
A nutritional powerhouse, papaya is known to give a boost to your health. It is a rich source of papain, which is a unique enzyme known to aid in the digestion of proteins. For people suffering from dandruff and other scalp related problems, it helps regularize bowel movements and flushing out of toxins from the body. Thus keeping your digestive system normal and your scalp happy.
It is widely used as a remedy for a number of ailments and diseases thanks to its high antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Garlic is also rich in allicin, which is an antifungal compound, and so help prevent dandruff from affecting the health of your scalp.
It is a concentrated source of vitamin B6 and zinc, which are required to boost the health of the scalp and keep it free from dandruff and other skin related conditions. A glass of wheat germ juice provides 75% of the vitamin B6 required to keep you and your scalp healthy on a daily basis. Therefore, including it in your diet in the form of bread, salad, juice or any other method will give you beautiful, strong and healthy hair.
They are packed with all the essential nutrients and vitamins that are essential to keep the scalp dandruff-free. They are also an excellent source of zinc that is required to keep the sebum under control and save the scalp from falling prey to excessive oil secretion that can also contribute further to the problem of oily, sticky and dandruff(y) scalp.
They have vitamin B6, A, C & E, zinc, potassium and iron. All of which contributes towards giving you a problem free scalp. They also come loaded with antioxidants and amino acids that aid in treatment and removal of dandruff from the scalp and leave you with soft, silky and strong hair.
Rich in iron, it helps prevent hair fall and thinning of the hair all this while improving the overall texture of the hair.
Eggs are rich source of vitamin B6, protein and biotin. All these nutrients are essential for the overall health and maintenance of hair and to keep the scalp problem and dandruff free.
They are the best when it comes to adding nourishment and natural shine to the hair. The omega3 fatty acid, biotin and vitamin E found in walnuts help deeply condition and nourish the scalp while helping the scalp restore its natural oil. Thus keeping the scalp clean and clear and stimulating growth of healthy and thick hair.