Hair Care Tips and Hairstyles for Thick Hair
26 May 2017
If getting thick hair is tough, maintaining thick hair is even tougher. We have all envied that one girl in school with the thickest plait but talking to her revealed that it’s tough to deal with thick hair. So what can you do if you have thick hair? Keep your thick hair soft and silky and they will be much easier to manage. My beauty naturally has homemade remedies and natural hair care tips to help you out!
Home Remedies for Thick Hair:
Tips for Thick Hair
Home Remedies for Thick Hair:
Eggs are one of the best items that provide shine and health to your hair. The presence of protein in the eggs help add thickness and strength to your tresses.
Egg and honey mask
- Two eggs
- One tablespoon honey
- One teaspoon hair oil
- Break two medium size eggs in a bowl and add one tablespoon honey and one teaspoon hair oil in it.
- Apply on hair and scalp, massage with gentle fingers and rest it for 10 minutes
- Wash hair with mild shampoo and repeat the process once a week.
- OLIVE OIL
Olive oil is full of omega three fatty acids and hence it helps in proper growth of hair. The oil helps in regeneration of damaged hair follicles and aids growth of new. Regular use of olive oil works great for hair thickness.
Olive oil & mustard mask
- 1 tbsp Dabur Vatika Enriched Olive Hair Oil
- ½ cup yellow mustard seeds
Read more about benefits of olive oil for hair.
- Soak half cup yellow mustard seeds in a bowl overnight and make a thick paste the next day.
- To the paste, add one tablespoon olive oil and apply the mixture on the scalp and hair.
- Keep the mixture on for 30-45 minutes and wash with cold water followed by herbal shampoo.
- Repeat the process once or twice a month for great and quick results.
The wonder fruit avocado works like magic for those seeking thick and long hair. Avocado provides deep moisturisation and hydration to the scalp thereby adding natural shine and strength to the hair, from roots to tip.
Avocado & banana mash
- One ripe avocado
- One ripe banana
- Take one ripe avocado and a ripe banana and mash them together.
- Apply the mash on the scalp for around 30 minutes.
- Wash hair with cold water and shampoo thereafter.
- Repeat the treatment twice a week for quicker results.
- ALOE VERA
Aloe vera helps in rejuvenating and thickening the hair by adding health benefits to it. It is a natural gel ingredient, which aids in the lengthening and thickening process of hair strands.
Aloe vera and honey mask
- 1 stick of aloe vera plant or 1 tsp aloe vera gel
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Take two to three aloe vera leaves and cut in half. Extract gel from the leaves and add a tablespoon on honey to it.
- Apply the mix to the scalp and keep on for half an hour.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and thereafter use herbal shampoo.
- Repeat the process once a week for better results. Consuming a tablespoon of aloe vera juice daily also helps in promoting thicker and shinier hair.
- FENUGREEK SEEDS
Fenugreek or methi seeds are a sure shot method of strengthening hair and adding volume, thereby increasing hair thickness in fastest time.
Fenugreek and egg mask
- ½ cup fenugreek seeds
- 1 egg
- Take half cup fenugreek seeds and soak them in water overnight. Next day, make a paste and add an egg to it.
- Apply the mixture on hair and scalp and massage gently.
- Keep it on for 30-45 minutes and wash off with cold water and herbal shampoo.
- Repeat the process once or twice a week.
Gooseberry or amla is a natural ingredient that helps aiding the hair growth phenomenally. It also helps maintain a healthy scalp. Gooseberry is filled with anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, exfoliating and antioxidant properties that will help in achieving thick hair.
Gooseberry & coconut oil mix
- 2 tbsp dried gooseberry powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Take a tablespoon of dried gooseberry powder and mix with a tablespoon coconut oil
- Apply the mix on scalp and gently massage for 10 minutes. Keep the mix on for another half an hour and thereafter wash with cold water.
- Repeat the process once a week.
- COCONUT OIL
Coconut oil is one of the best home remedies for providing best quality hair. Not only coconut oil provides nourishment, but also helps in promoting hair thickness. Coconut oil improves blood circulation in the scalp and nurtures the hair follicles.
Coconut oil and almond oil mix
- 1tbsp Dabur Vatika Enriched Coconut Hair Oil
- 1 tbsp almond oil
Read more about benefits of coconut oil for hair
- Take a tablespoon each of coconut oil and almond oil and mix in a bowl.
Heat the mix and let it cool.
- Apply the mix on scalp and massage in circular motion for at least 10-12 minutes.
- Keep the mix on overnight and then wash with herbal shampoo next day.
- Repeat the process weekly.
Henna is an extremely popular ingredient used for making hair thick, shiny and bouncy. It also provides a natural color.
Henna & coconut oil mix
- 1 cup henna powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Take a cup of henna powder and mix coconut oil & water to form a smooth paste.
- Apply the mix on hair and leave it overnight after covering the head with a shower cap
- Next day wash with cold water and apply herbal shampoo
- Repeat the process once a month
- FLAX SEEDS
Apart from boosting health, flax seeds also help in increasing thickness in hair and giving them great health. The fatty acids in flax seeds is the main reason why hair follicles thrive.
Flax seeds & yoghurt mix
- A bowl of flax seeds
- 1 cup yoghurt
- Mix a cup of flax seeds with a bowl of yoghurt and grind into a paste.
- Apply the paste on scalp and leave it for 2-3 hours
- Thereafter wash hair with cold water and repeat the process once a month.
- LEMON JUICE
The citric acid properties in lemon juice works wonders for the scalp, helping achieving good thickness in hair. It has antioxidants, which help in keeping dandruff away, keeping the scalp clean and free form any infection or fungus.
Lemon juice and pulp
- Juice of one lemon
- Pulp of one lemon
- Take a lemon and squeeze its juice. Thereafter, peel it and make a pulp
- Mash the juice and pulp together and apply on scalp and hair
- Keep it on for 15-20 minutes and then wash it off
- Use this at least once or twice a week.
Castor and lavender oil
- 1 tsp castor oil
- 1 tsp lavender oil
- Take a teaspoon each of castor oil and lavender oil and mix in a bowl
- Heat the oils and after coming back to room temperature, apply on scalp, gently massaging for few minutes
- Keep the oils in hair overnight using a shower cap or hot towel and rinse with herbal shampoo and cold water the next day
- Repeat the process weekly.
Avocado, olive oil & egg mask
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 mashed avocado
- 1 egg white
- In a bowl add one tablespoon olive oil, one mashed avocado and one egg white and mix together
- Apply the mix on wet hair and gently massage for 10-12 minutes. Keep the mix on for another 30-40 minutes and rinse off with cold water thereafter.
Vinegar & yoghurt mask
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- ½ cup fresh yoghurt
- In a bowl mix one tablespoon white vinegar with half cup fresh yoghurt.
- Apply the mask on hair and keep it on for 2-3 hours
- Wash hair with cold water and herbal shampoo and repeat the process once or twice a week.
- In a bow beat an egg and add one cup yoghurt in it
- Apply the mix on hair roots, gently massaging with finger for 10-12 minutes
- Keep the mix further on and rinse with cold water after 30 minutes
- Repeat the process weekly.
Potato juice mask
- Juice of one potato
- Few drops of lemon juice
- Take one medium sized potato, mash it and squeeze out its juice in a bowl.
- Then add few drops of lemon juice and mix it
- Apply it on roots of hair and scalp and gently massage for 5-6 minutes
- Leave the mix on for 10-15 minutes and thereafter rinse with cold water
- Repeat the process once a month.
Almond oil and hibiscus
- 1 tablespoon almond oil
- 1 tsp hibiscus powder
- Take one tablespoon almond oil and mix a teaspoon of dried hibiscus powder in it
- Apply the paste on hair and tips and keep it on for 30-45 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water and herbal shampoo and repeat the process once a month.
Tips on How to Grow Hair Faster:
Avoid chemical based shampoos
Chemical based shampoos constitute of sodium sulphate, synthetic colors, synthetic fragrance and other harmful ingredients, that strip essential oils from hair stunting their growth. There are many ways you can make your own shampoo at home, which not only nourishes hair but also makes them soft, thick and luscious
Egg, Lemon & Vodka Shampoo
- Two eggs
- Two teaspoons vodka
- Few drops of lemon
But if making your own shampoo sounds like a time consuming job, you can always opt for a mild shampoo like Dabur Almond Shampoo to add natural shine and strength to your tresses.
- Take two eggs in a bowl and lightly beat them. Add two teaspoons vodka in them along with a few drops of lemon juice
- Wet your hair and apply the mixture, gently massaging for 3-5 minutes.
- Thereafter, wash with cold water and repeat it once in a week.
Use essential oils
Essential oils are a mine of best ingredients that can nourish, replenish and rejuvenate hair health. These natural oils condition the hair, soothe the scalp, and provide a healthier environment for hair to be thicker and longer.
Everyone loves to be fashionable but every style comes with a cost. To style hair, one needs lot of ironing which damages the hair and roots permanently thus try avoiding hair styling/heating products. If required just use a hair dryer occasionally to style hair at a low temperature setting. If your hair is wet, do not blow dry completely. Let it stay a little damp so that follicles can be sealed with water.
Use conditioner after wash
A conditioner not just conditions, but also locks in moisture and nourishment for hair. Conditioners also help in keeping frizz away from hair. Always use best quality conditioner for your hair that suits your hair & scalp type. It is also very easy to make one at home.
Banana & honey conditioner
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp honey
- Few drops of lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- In a bowl whisk together one egg white, one tablespoon honey, a ripe banana and few drops of lemon juice
- Apply the mix after washing hair and gently massage on tips
- Keep it on for 5-6 minutes and rinse with cold water thereafter
- Repeat after every wash.
Apply hair masks regularly
Applying hair masks regularly gives not just a healthy glow to the hair but also maintains its longevity. Hair masks nourish the hair follicles and roots and promote long and thick tresses. One can easily prepare hair masks at home using everyday ingredients from the kitchen.
Avoid direct exposure to sun
Direct exposure to sun causes lot of damage to hair. Not just it damages the hair texture, but the harmful ultraviolet rays further dent and spoil hair roots and follicles and does not allow your hair to grow properly. Over exposure to sun also causes hair thinning and hair fall. There are few homemade remedies which help revive one’s sun damaged hair.
Eat balanced diet
Hair is one of the most important parts of our lives and keeping them healthy means eating a right diet which includes vitamins, minerals, and carbohydrates etc., which contribute in their health as well. Eat seasonal fruits and vegetables like apples, grapes, oranges, spinach, carrots and peas etc. that provide nourishment for hair follicles.
- Protein: Protein packed diet which includes eggs, fish and lentils help in faster hair growth as well as a soft texture. Lack of protein causes wither away.
- Vitamins & Iron: Leafy greens should be consumed to increase iron in the body which strengthen hair follicles. They are also packed with vitamins that promotes sebum production.
- Omega 3: Whole grains and nuts which are full of omega 3s also help in giving you thick and long hair.
Stress in terms of both mental and physical affects our hair quality and growth. In today’s lifestyle, it is imperative to get stressed due to work pressure, pollution, ailing health, relationships etc. resulting in hair loss and thinning. By indulging in various mental workouts like meditation and yoga stress can be avoided to keep the body and mind calm and fresh. Also a good massage with Vatika Enriched Coconut Hair Oil with Hibiscus helps regulate blood circulation in the scalp and strengthens hair roots and cells.
Get hair trimmed regularly
No matter how long you want your hair to be, it is very important to get slight trimming done regularly. This not only promotes faster growth of hair but also avoids the problem of split ends, which start damaging hair permanently. One should get the hair snipped every two months which will ensure good health and size of hair for sure.
Hairstyles for thicker hair
Thick hair looks great when open by styling it can be quite a task even with heating devices. Give it a life and style your hair naturally with these hacks:
Also find other hair care tips for healthy hair and do let us know if these hair care tips for thick hair worked for you.
Fishtail braid with long, thick hair
Give a makeover to your regular braid with this evergreen hairstyle for long hair. A fishtail braid looks neat, royal and elegant. While a regular braid has three hair divisions, the fishtail requires that the hair be divided into several strands. The fishtail is easy to execute great for both the day and night.
Wavy hair look for thick hair
Wash your hair and let it dry until it is slightly damp. Untangle them and secure using a rubber band. Twist your hair and put it up in a messy bun. Wait for your hair to dry completely and then slowly take off the hair tie and style as required. The more hair ties and the more buns you make, the tighter your curls will be.
Natural hair curls
Love those curls but hate these heating devices? No problem! You can still get those curls. Cut an old tee into long strips and wrap sections of your half-dried hair into them by placing the end of each section on the center of the strip and rolling up. Once you are done, just tie the end of the strip together and move to the next section. When you are done, keep it for as long as you wish and unfold curly hair. Tada!
Home Remedies for Shiny Hair
How to Treat Dry Hair
Home Remedies for Healthy Hair
How To Remove Dandruff
Long Hair Tips
Home Remedies for Silky Hair