Top 10 Natural Herbs For Hair growth and Thickness
Everyone wants hair that is gleaming with health, boosting in volume and look soft and lustrous. But in today’s environment there are several factors that do just the opposite. Stress, pollution, aging, food habits, nutritional deficiencies and many genetic issues cause hair fall that is irreparable. But there are many natural ways and means to get back the hair of your dreams without doing much. A regular application of herbs helps getting stronger and shinier hair. Herbs are loaded with minerals and vitamins that are essential for healthy growth of hair cells and follicles.
Video: Dabur Vatika Shampoo with Satt Poshan (Power of Seven Natural ingredients)
- Indian Gooseberry Or Amla
- Aloe Vera
- Curry Leaves
- Lemon Grass
Easily available Herbs / medicinal plants for hair growth include Indian gooseberry or Amla, fenugreek, aloe vera, Licorice, beetroot, coconut and many others that are anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidants and anti-bacterial in nature and help keep off the free radicals and other germs. Let’s see in detail about various ways go get herbal treatment for hair.
Indian Gooseberry Or Amla
It is one of the most widely used herb in India for both health and taste purposes. Amla is known to work wonders for the hair, keeping them thick and strong. Benefits of using amla for hair include –
- Being rich in vitamin C, amla helps restore hair follicles and make them grow long. It is one of the best herbs for hair. Follow our blog to read more beauty tips for long hair.
- It is also known for its exfoliating properties and help get rid of dead hair cells, making way for growth of new ones.
- Amla is anti-inflammatory and hence keeps dandruff at bay. Dandruff is one of the major causes of hair fall among youth. Read more on how to remove dandruff.
There are many homemade oils and hair masks one can churn out easily using amla and other kitchen ingredients that are sure shot ways to get rid of hair loss permanently.
Amla, Lemon Honey Mask
- Three to four crushed amlas
- One tablespoon honey
- Few drops of fresh lemon juice
- In a bowl crush three to four amlas and beat them to pulp
- Then add one tablespoon honey and few drops of lemon juice to the pulp and make a paste
- Wet the hair and apply the mix on the roots, gently massaging for 10-15 minutes
- Let it sit for another 20-30 minutes and rinse off with a mild shampoo
- Repeat the process weekly for best results
Fenugreek or methi is another widely used and a popular herb that helps curb hair problems, especially those related with hair fall and breakage.
- It contains a hormone antecedent that enhances hair growth and rebuilds hair follicles
- It also is loaded with proteins and nicotinic acid which stimulates hair growth in a natural way
- It helps in overcoming the problem of premature graying
- It helps in blood circulation of the scalp; cleaning and making it germ free making it one of the best natural herbs for hair growth.
Since fenugreek is very popular among Indian households, it can be used with various other natural ingredients to make a perfect hair mask.
Fenugreek & Yogurt Mask
- One teaspoon fenugreek seeds (soaked overnight)
- One tablespoon fresh yogurt
- Few drops of lemon juice
- Grind one teaspoon overnight soaked fenugreek seeds to a paste and then add a tablespoon of fresh yogurt and few drops of lemon juice to it
- Apply the mask on the roots, gently massaging for five minutes and then let it sit for an hour
- Wash off with cold water followed by a mild shampoo rinse like with Dabur Vatika Health Shampoo and repeat the process weekly
Apart from beautifying the skin, aloe vera can also considered to be one of the best herbs for hair loss.
- It contains enzymes that promote healthy hair growth
- Due to its alkalizing properties, it keeps the pH level of scalp balanced, keeping it free of infections
- It is anti-inflammatory in nature and hence keeps off dandruff and itching, keeping good care of hair follicles
Aloe vera can be easily teamed up with many other ingredients to make popular and effective hair masks that help in reducing hair fall drastically. Know more about aloe vera uses for hair.
Aloe Vera & Green Tea Mask
- One green tea bag
- One leaf of aloe vera
- Scrape off gel from one aloe vera leaf and keep it aside for half an hour
- Cut open a green tea bag and mix the tea powder with the gel
- Apply the mask on the scalp, massaging for five minutes in circular motions and keep it on for another 2-3 hours
- Wash it off with cold water and repeat the process at least twice a month for best results. Read more on green tea hair mask for hair growth.
The best herbal remedies for hair loss include licorice with its soothing properties that help in keeping the hair cells and follicles clean so that they grow in a healthy manner.
- The pacifying properties of licorice roots help in opening the pores and letting circulation of blood flow properly
- It also helps in reducing itching and dry flakes on the scalp, conditioning and hydrating it properly
- Those suffering from baldness can be assured of hair growth if using licorice regularly as it promotes growth of new hair cells
Licorice can either be used in a hair mask or consumed directly in order to change the quality and texture of your hair.
Licorice & Milk Mask
- One tablespoon ground licorice root
- Half cup warm milk
- In a bowl combine one tablespoon ground licorice root along with half cup warm milk and mix properly
- Apply the mask on the hair, starting with the scalp and gently massaging down the tips, keeping it on for 30-40 minutes
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo and use it at least once a month for best results
It is one of the most prevailing herbs for hair re-growth.
- It detoxifies the scalp and helps it get rid of free radicals and harmful toxins that can cause infection
- It strengthens the hair roots and prevents hair fall
- Rosemary restores hair pigment and helps in growth of hair in a healthy manner
Rosemary can be teamed up with various ingredients to form simple homemade masks for boosting hair growth.
Rosemary & Almonds Mask
- Few drops of rosemary oil
- Four to five almonds (soaked overnight)
- Few drops of rose water
- In a mixer, grind four to five overnight soaked almonds to a paste and then add few drops of rosemary oil and rose water to it
- Apply the mask on wet hair, gently massaging on the roots and then leave it on for an hour
- Wash off with a mild shampoo and repeat the process at least twice or thrice a month for best results
Neem is one of the best herbal medicines for hair loss.
- It is high in anti-bacterial properties. Hence helps in cleaning the scalp properly
- It improves blood circulation in the scalp that keeps the hair follicles healthy
- Thickens the hair and prevents premature graying
Neem can be used in many ways to boost hair health and get rid of falling strands.
Neem & Yogurt Mask
- A bunch of neem leaves
- A bowl of water
- One tablespoon yogurt
- One tablespoon lemon juice
- Grind a bunch of neem leaves to a paste and add one tablespoon lemon juice to it
- Then add one tablespoon yogurt and a little water to make a paste
- Apply the paste on wet hair and gently massage for five minutes
- Keep it on till the paste dries and later wash off with cold water
- Repeat the process weekly
Curry leaves is one of the most frequently used herbal treatment for hair fall as they nourish the scalp and strengthen hair roots.
- Curry leaves help in preventing premature graying of hair, providing natural color and shine
- They also help in nourishing the roots with natural oils so that they grow healthy and stop hair fall
- They are anti-bacterial and hence help get rid of free radicals from the scalp
Curry leaves can be used in many ways to make simple and quick remedies for boosting hair health.
Curry Leaves & Coconut Mask
- A bunch of fresh curry leaves
- One tablespoon Dabur Vatika Enriched Coconut Hair Oil
- Take a pan and dry roast fresh curry leaves in it
- Grind them to a powder and add one tablespoon coconut oil in it, mixing thoroughly
- Apply the paste on the scalp gently massaging for 10-15 minutes and later let it sit for an hour
- Rinse hair with a mild shampoo and repeat the process twice a month at least for effective results
Basil or tulsi is found in almost all Indian households. It is one of the best herbs for hair growth and thickness.
- It rejuvenates hair cells and boosts their growth in a healthy manner
- Basil moisturizes the hair and roots and hydrates them from the inside
- Basil is loaded with eugenol and magnesium that help stimulate blood circulation in the scalp and improves hair growth
Tulsi can also be combined easily with many other ingredients to work like magic for soft, smooth and stronger hair.
Basil & Olive Oil Mask
- A bunch of fresh basil leaves
- One tablespoon olive oil
- In a pan dry roast a bunch of basil leaves and grind them later to a powder
- Mix the powder with a tablespoon of olive oil and make a thick paste
- Apply the paste on the scalp, gently massaging and later go on till the hair care tips and let it sit for an hour at least
- Wash off with a mild shampoo and repeat the process twice a week
Ginger fights of hair dullness and helps boost hair health, stopping hair fall completely.
- Using ginger as one of the best herbal treatment for hair fall, it can completely cure hair loss and baldness when used regularly.
- It hydrates the scalp, thereby preventing itchiness and dandruff
- Ginger stimulates hair growth by boosting blood circulation on the scalp
Ginger can easily be combined with any essential oil and used for stopping hair fall.
Ginger & Sesame Oil
- One inch piece of ginger
- One teaspoon sesame oil
- Grate one inch piece of ginger and squeeze it to takeout its juice
- Add the ginger juice to one teaspoon sesame oil and mix properly
- Apply the hair oil on hair strands and scalp, massaging in circular motions for 10-15 minutes
- Wash off with cold water followed by a mild shampoo
- Repeat weekly
Lemon grass strengthens the hair roots making them bouncy and thick and is one the most widely used Indian herbs for hair growth.
- Lemon grass conditions hair making them soft and smooth, and provides volume
- It helps in keeping the scalp clean and free of fungal and bacterial infections
Lemon grass is easily available and can be crushed and used in any hair mask recipe
Lemon Grass Paste
- Three leaves of lemon grass
- In a mixer, blend three to four lemon grass leaves into a paste adding water as required
- Apply the paste on hair strands, tips and roots and let it sit for 2-3 hours
- Wash off with cold water
- Repeat the process once a month
Need more suggestions on how to use herbs for hair fall? Keep reading our blog.
Was this Article helpful?