Moisturizer For Dry Skin: Homemade Natural Moisturizer For Dry Skin In Winter
No matter the season, a moisturizer is essential for beautiful skin. In winter, our skin requires even more attention. Winter brings with it hot beverages and bonfire parties but is also accompanied by the dreaded dry skin woes. We all know very well how harsh the chilly winter breeze can be on the skin, especially if your skin type is dry. You might try fix it by splurging your hard-earned money on factory made moisturizers and creams just to make it soft and supple again. But, what you are unable to realise is that some of these creams that you use in the winter are laden with harmful chemicals. These creams and lotions often interfere with the natural oils of the skin, thereby making it even more dry and flaky.
Dry skin can make you look dull and old and hence it is essential to provide your skin with the adequate amount of hydration, for it looks healthy and young. Hydration can be provided to the skin through various preventive as well as curative ways. Read on to find out how you can make amazing homemade moisturizers for dry skin to keep the winter woes at bay.
- What Makes Our Skin Dry?
- Benefits Of Moisturizer For Dry Skin
- Homemade Natural Moisturizers For Dry Skin
What Makes Our Skin Dry?
The largest organ of our body, skin provides for an immediate barrier between the internal tissues and the environment surrounding us. It not only protects the body from the effects of temperature and chemical and microbial attacks but at the same time prevents harmful substances from entering our skin is a reflection of our health and well-being.
Natural skincare can be difficult in your busy day-to-day life. Adding to that pollution, stress, and unhealthy eating habits strip away the natural glow from the skin. It must be noted that the skin is quite sensitive and any reactions or side effects of internal and external factors becomes clearly visible on it leading to various problems such as acne, puffiness, dryness and uneven skin tone.
To restore that young and radiant look, taking shortcuts of lathering it with anything within your reach can lead to breakouts and skin infections. Let us first take a look and try and understand the causes of dry skin.
Let’s face the truth. Our lifestyle has indeed become quite unhealthy. Constant exposure to electronics and the lack of exercise speeds up signs of aging faster and this reflects on our face as well. Smoking and drinking add to this making our skin dull and dry. Reduce alcohol intake and take out time daily to go for a walk. Exercising is a great way to keep you healthy internally and reduce stress levels giving you younger looking skin.
Consumption Of Unhealthy Food
Fast food is rightly called so as it is fast in packing pounds on our waistline and giving your face an unhealthy look. The oils in these foods are not good resulting in health and skin related issues like acne and pimples. For a bright and fresh glow, incorporate a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits into your daily diet. Make sure to also include foods and beverages rich in antioxidants. These beauty tips for face can help in detoxification of the skin, which is necessary to remove dead skin cells leaving your face with the perfect glow.
The sun’s UV rays, along with seasonal changes in weather can cause a lot of damage to the skin, making it very dry. This dryness further leads to itching, dry patches, and many other skin problems. If you want your skin to stay free of these problems, moisturize it daily and follow a proper beauty and skin care regime.
Not Drinking Enough Water
Water is the important product for your skin as it helps to moisturise it from within. Not drinking enough water makes the skin dry and flaky. Wondering how to become fair with water? Water flushes out the toxins from the body helping to maintain fair and healthy skin. Make sure you consume at least 2-3 litres of water a day for softer and younger looking skin.
Excessive Use Of Chemicals On The Skin
Some people use cosmetic products to help the skin look healthy. But these cosmetic products contain harsh and dangerous chemicals and also ingredients that actually clog your skin’s layer and impede its natural balance. This leading to puffiness, dryness and wrinkles. Also, these products are expensive leaving a big hole in our pockets without much satisfaction. Try to use natural ingredients and home remedies for glowing skin .
Not Moisturising/Cleansing Your Face Often
With the dust and pollution, it is important to cleanse and moisturise your face to keep it looking fresh. Using a moisturizer every day, especially if you have dry skin can provide deep hydration and make your skin glow.
Benefits Of Moisturizer For Dry Skin
Even though moisturizers won’t necessarily affect how the skin functions at the cellular level (that is, they won’t change the production level of collagen and repair of tissue damage), they are an excellent way to keep the skin hydrated, replenishing the natural moisture elements in the upper layers and bolstering the barrier function of the skin. Here are a few benefits of moisturizing your skin daily.
Re-Hydrates Dry Skin
Sometimes our skin can get chapped or dried from wind, cold, or heat and can be hard to treat with regular cosmetics or lotions. While people with sensitive skin, no matter which type of climate they live in, their skin can become dry and irritated easily, sometimes even from indoor heating. Moisturizer applied after each shower or bath, can help to seal moisture deep in the skin to keep it hydrated and supple.
Replenishes Rough Dry Spots On The Skin
Our skin is rough in certain areas of our body, like around the elbows or knees. The skin can benefit these areas with regular moisturizing, especially applied after a bath or at bedtime. With regular use, a moisturizing lotion can ease rough skin and make it as smooth and silky as the rest of your body.
Makes Your Skin Glow
Using a moisturizer everyday can make your skin glow by keeping your skin cells hydrated and protecting them from the sun’s UV rays and seasonal changes that can cause your skin to look dry and dull. Brightening qualities are sometimes embedded in lotion to show up as tiny sparkling flecks on the skin when applied. Some cosmetic lotions can brighten the skin to remove dull, dead flakes and rejuvenate underlying tissues.
Smoothens Out Calluses
If you are on your feet quite a bit you may have developed rough calluses that are painful and unsightly. Moisturizing lotion can make these areas supple and help you to remove the dead skin easier than if you attempted it without the lotion.
Feels And Smells Good
People love the feel of creamy lotion on their tired limbs or torso. Enjoy the relaxing sensation of lotion applied to your feet, legs, or arms. Specialty stores, department stores, and gift shops carry many different scents of body lotion to choose from.
Protects The Skin From Harmful Radicals
Moisturizing forms a barrier between the skin and the environmental conditions, helping to form a fine, protective layer that protects it from the harsh climatic conditions and helps to retain the moisture it requires. Applying daily helps and protects your skin from these harsh radicals.
Moisturizers Have Fewer Side Effects And Are Gentle On The Skin
Applying cosmetics and other beauty products can leave your skin dehydrated and dull because of the various chemicals present in them. Frequent application of these products can have adhering side effects, while moisturizers are gentle and help in hydrating the skin and applying them daily helps nourish your skin and leave you with that radiating, young glow. Overall, moisturizing products are better and while you may not notice the effects right away, after continued use you will eventually realize that natural products are better and gentler on the skin vs the unnatural products.
Homemade Natural Moisturizers For Dry Skin
It is time to say no to expensive store-bought moisturizers and creams and reach for natural home remedies that are cost effective and gentle on the skin. Making a natural moisturizer for dry skin at home is really convenient. You just require some common home ingredients to get it ready for use. Read on further to know how to prepare these moisturizers for dry skin.
While you can store some of these natural moisturizers for a few weeks, it is beneficial to prepare a fresh stock to enjoy maximum benefits and get soft and supple skin.
Carrot And Honey Natural Moisturizer For Dry Skin In Winter
- 1 teaspoon of carrot juice
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Mix carrot juice and honey well.
- Apply it with your fingertips on the face and neck.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water.
- Apply thrice a week for best results.
Honey And Yoghurt Face Moisturizer For Dry Skin
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of yoghurt
- Mix 1 table spoon of yogurt/curd with 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Spread the mixture onto your face and keep it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Apply Dabur Gulabari Moisturizing Cream thereafter for rose like glow and radiance
Nourishing Olive Oil Bath - Best Natural Moisturizer For Dry Skin
Olive oil acts as a natural moisturizer for dry skin and make skin soft.
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 drops of lavender essential oil
- A bathtub/bucket of warm water
- Add the olive oil and essential oil to a bath for a moisturizing and refreshing effect.
- Apply a nourishing and moisturizing lotion after the bath to retain the moisture in your skin.
Natural Honey Moisturiser For Dry Skin
- 2 tablespoons of Honey
- 8 tablespoons of warm water
- Mix the honey with warm water until it forms a paste.
- Apply to skin and let it rest for 15 minutes,
- Gently wash it off with warm water.
- Finish it off by applying a moisturizing cold cream
Olive Oil, Coconut Oil And Beeswax Moisturizer For Dry Skin
- 10 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 10 tablespoons of Coconut Oil
- 5 tablespoons of Beeswax
- Water (as required)
- Combine the Olive Oil, Coconut Oil and Beeswax in a large jar
- Put the jar in a saucepan and fill the pan with enough water
- Let it boil for 5 minutes
- Empty out the hot water from the pan and replace it with cold water to the same level. Put the jar back into the pan
- Whip/stir all the ingredients into a moisturizer. You may have to stir this every 5 minutes until the texture is thick and creamy.
- Take this mixture on your hand and apply it evenly on your face for that perfectly moisturized look.
Avocado Homemade Moisturizer For Dry Skin In Winter
Avocados are a great source of vitamins and healthy fats that help retain moisture in the skin.
- One half of a ripe avocado
- Its peel (alternative method)
- 2 tbsp Dabur Gulabari Rose Water
- Mash half an avocado and apply on your face
- Let the avocado residue sit for 15 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
- Alternatively, you can also rub the inner part of the peel lightly on your face.
Aloe Vera, Coconut Oil And Vitamin E Oil Moisturiser For Dry Skin In Winter
Aloe vera is great for curing skin problems while vitamin E is great for treating dry skin.
- 4 teaspoons of aloe vera gel
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- 1/4th teaspoon of vitamin E oil
- Mix aloe vera oil, coconut oil and Vitamin E oil in a blender
- Transfer this mixture into a container and store it in refrigerator. It will last for several weeks.
- Use it all over your face and body as you would use any other moisturizer.
- Apply this right after a bath to help lock in the moisture.
Natural Homemade Moisturizer For Dry Skin In Winter
- 4 tablespoons of aloe vera gel
- 1 tablespoon of essential almond oil
- 2-3 drops of rose oil
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Mix the aloe vera, almond oil, rose oil and extra virgin oil well and store it in the refrigerator.
- Use it as a moisturizer for dry skin after taking shower for that soft feeling especially in winter.
Dry skin is a complete menace regardless of the season. Dry skin is the resultant of lack of proper nutrients leading to dull lifeless skin. It is also caused by external causes such as pollution and stress. Using natural moisturizers helps you to regain and retain the lost glow thus giving you a youthful appearance. With regular use of these moisturizers highlighted in this article, you can see the desired results of soft, youthful skin within a few weeks. Remember to eat fresh fruits and vegetables and incorporate exercise daily into your routine.
* Fields are required. Make some cool noise, please don't spam and your voice will be heard.
Was this Article helpful?