Coconut Oil For Dandruff - 5 Home Remedies Using Coconut Oil For Dandruff Treatment To Keep Dandruff At Bay This Winter
What can be more annoying than unmanageable hair? Flaky, itchy and dandruff infested scalp! With the onset of winters comes the problem of dandruff. The problem becomes even more bothersome if you have a dry scalp. While the reasons for dandruff infestation could be any but to treat it from the root, it is important to keep your scalp hydrated, nourished and moisturized. And what better way to combat the problem of dry and dandruff infected scalp than regular application of coconut oil. But before knowing the answer to the question, is coconut oil good for dandruff? Let us first look at the causes that can lead to the problem of dandruff.
Video: Dabur Amla Hair Oil for Strong & Beautiful Hair
- Improper or lack of hair care
- Infrequent shampooing
- Poor diet
- Excess sebum production
- Irregular brushing
- Medical condition
- Skin condition like eczema or psoriasis
- Neem And Coconut Oil For Dandruff Hair Mask
- Coconut Oil And Lemon For Dandruff
- Honey And Coconut Oil For Dandruff Hair Pack
- Baking Soda, Lemon & Coconut Oil
- Banana, Apple Cider & Coconut Oil For Dandruff
Is Coconut Oil Good For Dandruff?
For the magic fruit that the coconut is, it has been a go-to and time-tested remedy for any hair related condition or issue. Enriched with vitamins (E & K), proteins, antimicrobial properties and essential fatty acids; coconut oil easily penetrates the hair shaft and nourishes the scalp from deep within to keep problems of dandruff and dry scalp at bay. It’s penetrative qualities also aids in keeping excess sebum build-up under control and provide the follicles with the much-required strength. Coconut oil for dandruff is also considered to be an ideal solution because it is known to stimulate the scalp and encourage the growth of thick, problem-free and well-conditioned hair.
How To Use Coconut Oil For Dandruff Treatment:
Yes, you love your tresses. Yes, you need a solution or a cure that will keep them nourished and beautiful at all times. But if you think, using chemically treated products and other tools will help you achieve that then you are mistaken. You might get temporary respite from the immediate problem at hand but in the long run what you get is damaged, dry and dull hair. To avoid this, we recommend to rely on herbal or natural home remedies. Why? Because they do not cause any side-effects, are inexpensive, nourish your scalp from within and can be prepared in not time—sparing you from spending long hours at a hair salon.
We have got you covered few coconut oil for dandruff treatments that you can easily try at home and walk away with gorgeously nourished tresses with minimum efforts. Try them now!
Note: We recommend using Dabur Vatika Enriched Coconut Hair Oil in the remedies given below. Enriched with triple goodness of henna, lemon and amla; it is like many hair solutions in one bottle. All these ingredients in combination with coconut oil completely nourish your hair as well as make for an effective remedy to treat any hair damage.
Home Remedies Using Coconut Oil For Dandruff
Neem And Coconut Oil For Dandruff Hair Mask:
Neem has excellent antifungal, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that works well in combating the problem of dandruff or any other scalp related infection.
- 8-9 dried neem leaves
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- In a blender, crush need leaves and make a fine powder
- Now add coconut oil to the powdered leaves and make a paste
- Massage the mix gently into the head in circular motion for 10 minutes
- Leave it to rest on the scalp for 1-2 hours
- Rinse it off using a mild shampoo followed by a conditioner
- Repeat at least twice a week to get rid of dandruff in due course of time
Coconut Oil And Lemon For Dandruff:
Is coconut oil for dandruff a good idea? We say! Especially when applied on the scalp and hair in combination with lemon juice. Lemon is acidic in nature and so works as an excellent cleansing agent. It helps get rid of harmful toxins and excess of oil from the surface of the scalp thereby keeping the scalp nourished and problem free for long.
- 2 tbsp coconut hair oil
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Mix both the ingredients together in a bowl
- Apply on the scalp and hair (moving from roots to the tip) and massage gently for 5-10 minutes
- Leave it to rest for an hour before rinsing it off with a mild shampoo
- Repeat at least twice a week for desired results
Honey And Coconut Oil For Dandruff Hair Pack:
Honey has natural moisturizing properties that helps in restoration and maintenance of the scalp’s pH balance. Owing to its antimicrobial properties, honey also aids in treating dandruff from the root.
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp yogurt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients together and make a smooth paste
- Use this paste to gently massage the scalp and hair tips for 5-10 minutes
- Leave it on for an hour or so before rinsing it off with a mild shampoo
- Repeat the process at least once a week for effective results over a period of time
Baking Soda, Lemon & Coconut Oil For Dandruff:
It is one of the best dandruff home remedies which is coconut oil based as both baking soda and lemon are revered for their anti-bacterial and cleansing properties. With their regular application on the scalp, you can get rid of not just impurities but also control the production of excess oil, which is also one of the most common causes of dandruff infestation.
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- To a cup of apple cider vinegar, add rest of the ingredients and stir well
- Use the mix for application on your scalp and rest of the hair
- Leave it in the scalp for 45 minutes before washing it off with a mild shampoo followed by a conditioner
- Repeat at least once a month for desired results
Note: Do not forget to use a conditioner post shampooing as baking soda has a tendency to dry the scalp.
Banana, Apple Cider & Coconut Oil For Dandruff:
Bananas are rich in vitamin B that help in nourishing the scalp and add natural shine to the hair. With apple cider vinegar added to the mix, you are sure to get strong and dandruff free tresses.
- 1 whole ripe banana
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Take the banana and mash it to a pulp with the back of a spoon or fork
- Now add apple cider and coconut oil to the mashed banana and mix well
- Apply this paste to the scalp and gently massage it in circular motion for 5-10 minutes
- Cover your head with a shower cap and leave the mix in the scalp overnight
- Next morning, rinse it off with a mild shampoo and repeat the process at least once a week for effective results
While these coconut oil for dandruff remedies are easy to prepare at home, if you are still short of time and need a shortcut way to get rid of dandruff, perform regular hot coconut oil massages at least twice a week. It will not only help you keep dandruff at bay but also stimulate your scalp to reduce hair fall.
Need more options on how to remove dandruff with coconut oil? Keep reading our blogs.
Was this Article helpful?