Step Wise Guide for Hair Spa at Home
17 Nov 2017
Everyone loves to have long, shiny and thick hair but due to various reasons we do not get what we desire. High pollution levels, stress, changes in diet and age factors contribute to hair fall and other issues. So, one of the safest hair care tips to get smooth and long hair is to try hair spa at home, which is totally effective, natural, pocket-friendly and free of chemicals and side effects.
For a homemade hair spa, it is very important to know your hair type and quality so as to choose the ingredients accordingly. Deep condition, serum treatment, oiling and hair masks are few of the steps initiated during a hair spa and these can be easily done at home with easily available ingredients in the kitchen.
How to Do Hair Spa at Home
Follow the give below easy steps to do hair spa at home and get gorgeous hair.
Massage the scalp
The first and foremost step to begin the spa is to massage the scalp properly so that blood circulation increases. Proper blood flow helps in boosting hair growth. With the help of any healthy oil (coconut/olive) available at home, you can massage the scalp for 15-20 minutes.
Unlike the electronic steamers in beauty parlors it is very easy to make a hair steamer at home. Take a big towel and dip it in hot water for two to three minutes and squeeze out excess water. After oiling the scalp, wrap the hot towel along the hair tightly for another 10-15 minutes. This will allow the oil to penetrate deep into the hair roots, nourishing them.
Even though we all wash our hair twice or thrice a week, hair wash during a spa is very relaxing. Using a mild shampoo like Dabur Vatika Health Shampoo, one can wash hair to rinse out excess oil and dirt and get thick and strong hair. Make sure to always wash hair with cold water as hot water may damage the roots.
After shampooing, it is very important to use a good hair conditioner, as it helps in making the tresses soft and silky. This homemade hair spa would be incomplete without conditioning your hair as it helps in giving bounce and volume to the otherwise dull hair. Make sure to apply the conditioner to the hair tips and not the roots.
A hair mask is a very important step in the spa. There are many homemade masks that can be easily churned out using simple ingredients available in the kitchen. These masks provide the required nourishment and sustenance for the hair to grow thick and strong.
The entire process of hair spa when performed regularly and stepwise ensures healthy and shiny hair for long.
It is very easy to make hair masks using few ingredients that are always within our reach. It is important to know that using natural and homemade masks not only work better for the hair, but are also inexpensive. Like different kinds of skin, we all have various types of hair, which need personalized attention and care. Those with dry or frizzy hair need intense oiling and condition and the ones who suffer from hair fall need root strengthening therapies. So, we look at few quick and effortless hair masks that you can make according to your hair type and make them look beautiful and healthy.
Hair Spa at Home for Dry Hair – Hair Masks for Dry Hair
- Avocado & egg mask
Tired of covering up your dry and dull hair in a bun? Try the avocado and egg hair spa at home for dry hair remedy and you will never have to tie your hair up again. Avocado and eggs are the best natural ingredients for improving hair health and quality. Full of proteins, eggs provide shine and nourishment to the hair and avocado moisturizes them.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 egg yolk
- In a bowl, mash a ripe avocado and add an egg yolk to it
- Mix the ingredients together to make a smooth paste
- Apply the paste on wet hair properly and let it sit for at least 30-35 minutes
- Rinse with cold water followed by a shampoo
- Repeat the process at least once a week as one of the best home remedies for shiny hair over a period of time
- Yogurt and honey mask
Both yogurt and honey are known to moisturize and condition frizzy and dry hair naturally. They help nourish the roots and stimulate growth of soft and silky hair.
- 1 cup fresh yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Few drops of rose water
- In a bowl take one cup fresh yogurt and to it add two tablespoons honey and a few drops of rose water.
- Make a paste and apply on hair roots as well as tips
- Keep it on for 30-35 minutes before washing it off with cold water
- Repeat the process once a week, at least, for desired effect
- Coconut oil and lemon hair mask
Coconut oil is said to be the best hair spa treatment at home for dry hair. It provides overall nourishment to the hair, from roots to tips, helping them grow healthy and strong. It also cleans the scalp to get rid of infection causing bacteria and fungi and other free radicals. Lemon on the other hand aids in prevention of excess of sebum production and reduces dandruff.
- In a bowl add two tablespoons coconut oil along with the same amount of fresh lemon juice and mix thoroughly
- Gently massage the mix into the scalp and hair using circular motion for 5-0 minutes. Make sure to start from the scalp and moving on to the tips
- Leave it to rest in the scalp for at least an hour. You can wrap your head in a warm towel for extra effect
- Thereafter, use lukewarm water followed by a mild shampoo to rinse it off
- Repeat the process at least once a week for improved hair quality
Hair spa at home for hair fall - Hair masks for hair fall
Hair fall is a condition that practically everyone suffers from today, irrespective of age and gender. Least to say, it can be quite damaging for one’s condition as leaving behind a trail of hair everywhere you go is certainly not a pleasant thing to do. Apart from few medical and hereditary reasons, hair fall has become a common problem even with youngsters because of pollution and poor diet. But the problem can be tackled easily with few precaution and lots of care. There are effortless hair masks one can make at home to get rid of the problem of hair fall over a considerable period of time.
Green tea & honey hair mask
Green tea is said to be rich in antioxidants and hence helps remove free radicals that cause hair fall. Honey moisturizes the scalp and roots, making them strong.
- 1 bag of green tea
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup water
- In a pan, boil a cup of water
- Once the water is boiled, and add a bag of green tea and let it steep for 3-4 minutes
- Discard the tea bag and let the water cool
- Now add one tablespoon honey in it and stir
- Gently massage the concoction on the hair alongside the tips and roots and leave it on for 40-45 minutes
- Wash off with warm water followed by a mild shampoo
- Repeat the process fortnightly using this awesome natural hair spa at home to experience the result
- Banana & honey mask
Bananas are rich source of minerals, calcium and antioxidants and hence work wonders when it comes to hair health. Along with honey, bananas provide vitamins and potassium that are necessary for growth of hair follicles. They both also moisturize the scalp and nourish it to encourage the growth of silky soft and shiny hair.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a mixer blend one ripe banana to a smooth paste and then add to it one tablespoon honey
- Apply the mask on hair gently massaging from roots to tips and keep it on for 30-40 minutes
- Thereafter, wash off with cold water and a mild shampoo
- Repeat the process at least once a week
- Curry leaves and coconut hair mask
Curry leaves are loaded with protein and beta-carotene which helps in battling hair fall and strengthening the hair roots. Along with coconut oil, this hair mask helps in conditioning the hair from roots to tips and regrowth of thick and well-moisturised hair.
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- In a mixer blend ten to twelve curry leaves alongwith coconut oil and make a slightly thick paste
- Use this mix for application to the scalp and hair, moving from roots to the tips, gently massaging for 10-15 minutes and thereafter keep it on for another hour.
- Wash off with cold water followed by a mild shampoo rinse
- Repeat at least once a week to control and reduce the problem of hair fall
Hair spa at home for oily Hair - Hair masks for oily hair
It’s a common myth that oily hair does not need conditioning and oiling. But the truth is that these masks do not increase the oil level in the hair but help balance them so that hair becomes strong and long. Hair spa treatment at home provides nutrition for the hair and so if you have an oily scalp, trying these easy to make hair masks can help control the production of excess of sebum in the scalp and keep it clean and problem free for long.
- Strawberry & honey mask
Strawberries are rich in antioxidants and help in keeping the scalp free of bacteria and other infection causing germs. It also nourishes the hair from roots and helps growth of hair growing cells.
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a bowl take a cup of fresh strawberries and smash them to make a pulp
- Then add a tablespoon honey and make a thick paste
- Apply the paste on wet hair and let it sit for 40-45 minutes
- Thereafter, wash off with a mild shampoo and repeat the process at least once a week
- Gooseberry & lemon mask
Indian gooseberry or amla is considered to be an elixir for hair. Not only it nourishes, but also strengthen the hair roots and adds thickness and natural shine to the hair. Both amla and lemon are high on vitamin C and antioxidants and help in keeping the hair healthy and clean.
- 1 cup amla paste
- Few drops of lemon
- In a bowl, take one cup paste of fresh amla and add few drops of lemon juice in it
- Mix it well and apply on the hair
- Keep it on for 40-45 minutes before washing it off with a mild shampoo
- Repeat at least once a week for desired results
- Cream & corn flour mask
If you ever wonder how to make hair spa cream at home, here is the perfect one you can churn out easily. Fresh cream provides moisture and hydration to the scalp whereas, corn flour removes impurities and control oiliness of the scalp.
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- In a bowl take one cup fresh cream and to it add two tablespoons corn flour
- Mix it well and apply on the hair
- Let it sit for an hour and rinse off with cold water and shampoo
- Repeat the process at least once a month for quicker and best results
Homemade Hair Spa Benefits
Regular use of hair masks not only heal damaged and broken hair but also moisturize and hydrate the scalp, making the hair growing cells more effective. It also prevents dryness, dandruff and premature aging of hair. Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of hair masks in detail.
- Improves hair quality
Regular use of hair masks, which is at least twice a month, can promise a sea-change in the quality of your hair over a period of time. The hair will not only become soft and smooth but also look and feel healthy. Natural shine and strength of the hair also increases when you apply hair masks on a regular basis.
- Fast process
Rather than looking for time to go and sit in hair parlors, churning out hair spas at home is a very fast and easy process. With the available ingredients in the kitchen, the hair spa is also an enjoyable process once can follow over the weekend while managing household chores alongside.
Hair spa is a very relaxing activity. Apart from nurturing the hair, the spa also helps relieve stress problems.
- Natural ingredients
Unlike high-end parlous products, doing hair spa at home is a simple process using only herbal and natural ingredients that are good for hair health. These ingredients are free of chemicals and do not have any long-term side effects. They are pocket friendly and because the remedy will be prepared by you on your own, chances of using adulterated or low-quality products go down to zero.
While as easy as it may sound, there are a few tips as well one should take into account while doing a hair spa treatment at home.
- Do not overdo the spas as they tend to take away the natural moisture of hair. For healthy and stronger hair, just follow a spa treatment at home once week.
- Always make sure to concentrate on entire hair portion while applying a mask. Do not just focus on either the roots or the tips. Overall hair health should be looked into.
- It is perfectly okay to keep combing the hair while applying masks as it helps regulate blood circulation on the scalp.
- Make sure while taking out the mask, shampoo the hair properly in order to wash off entire grease from the hair. Otherwise, it will do more harm than benefit.
- If you have dry hair, it is perfectly okay to even sleep in hair mask and it can seep into the roots and you can discover shiny and soft hair after wash.
Need more tips on how to do hair spa at home? Keep following our blog.